Thursday, January 24, 2013

All Top Chef Interview with Josie Smith-Malave, Continued

ATC:  This is Laura Kluvo from All Top Chef and I'm on the phone with Chef Josie Smith-Malave, Hi Chef Josie.

JSM:  Hi!

ATC:  Have you been watching the show every week?

JSM:  Yes, I sure have...

ATC:  Were you surprised by anything that you saw as you watched?

JSM:  Yes, I could say that.  Surprised would be an understatement.

ATC:  During the competition, did you feel that the other chefs respected you?

JSM:  Yes.  At the time I did.

ATC:  Did you feel that you had an advantage going in, because you had already competed in season 2?

JSM:  You know, I thought that there was a slight advantage.  I was familiar with how the process worked and I thought that if I sat back and let everyone else unravel, that I would have an advantage.  Sure.

ATC:  Did you recognize any of the other chefs when you arrived?

JSM:  Stefan and I have done events together.  CJ of course.  The rest I just met on set.

ATC:  Who is your best friend from the cast?

JSM:  Friend?  Hmmmm...  I would say Sheldon.

ATC:  Oh, he seems like a real sweetheart.

JSM:  What you see is what you get.  I have spent some time in Hawaii and he really embodies the Hawaiian spirit.  He's a pretty cool dude, I'm not gonna lie.

Lizzie also.  She is a stand-up lady.  There was nothing that she said that was unkind or uncalled for.  She is very respectful.

And Carla.  Love me some Carla!

ATC:   What have you been doing since we saw you in season 2?

JSM:  I've been building an empire.  Right now we have a pop-up location in San Francisco.  I have teamed up with a music venue called Thee Parkside.    It's called Global Soul Corner, we have just extended our lease.

I have also teamed up with some people to do a popsicle business.  We have some really inventive popsicle flavors.  We are working out the details to expand.

I'm also working on a couple of cooking shows.

I have been traveling the world...eating...learning about other cultures, not just food.  I have really had the chance to grow as a person and really to hone my future.

ATC:  What is the most intriguing flavor of popsicle that you have invented?

JSM:  I call it the dirty chocolate cake.  It's like a fudgsicle with a hint of chiles and of course, bacon...

ATC:  Are these available now?

JSM:  They are available at music events here in San Francisco and we are looking to expand our production and distribution.

ATC:  Which was your favorite challenge?

JSM:  I would have to say that was the Food & Wine Challenge where I was awarded immunity by Dana Cowin for my dumpling.

ATC:  Will there be a reunion episode?

JSM:  I have no idea.

ATC:  Chef Josie, we are almost out of time, is there anything else you would like to say to your fans?

JSM:  Watch What Happens - it's not over yet!



No comments:

Post a Comment